Consideration of Proposal
All proposed Standards (Projects) are considered by National Standards Development Organisation (NSDO) to ensure that the proposal meets the needs of industry and/or the customer. NSDO also guages its capacity to deliver the proposed Standard before committing resources to develop it.
Assuming all goes well, NSDO appoints a project manager for the proposed Standard, who develops a Standards Development Plan, outlining:
- Objectives of the proposed Standard;
- Specific groups to take part in the development of the Standard, such as industry, government, community and other interested parties;
- The Standards development process to be followed;
- Anticipated timeframe for completion of the proposed Standard and how this meets the needs and expectations of the specific user group, industry, government agency and Community; and
- Any dependencies that may impact timely completion of the Standard.
Project Manager’s Strategy
At the same time, the project manager implements various strategies to consult the major stakeholders and interested parties of the specified industry for the proposed Standard. Such strategies include organising consultation workshops and presentations, publication of the draft Standard Development Project Proposal on the NSDO website to seek comment from the public, and circulation of the draft Standard Development Project Proposal to major stakeholders and interested parties for comment.
Feedback and comments received are collated and the draft proposal is amended taking into account the information collected. The final Standard Development Project Proposal is then submitted to the NSDO Standards Development Committee (SDC) for approval to proceed.
NSDO's CEO approves the final Standards Development Project Proposal to proceed. If the decision is not to proceed with the proposed standard, there is no further action on the proposed standard. The proposer may make a complaint or lodge an appeal in accordance with Procedure NSDO-11: Appeals, complaints and disputes.
The next step is to establish a Committee to prepare the proposed standard.